About a year ago at this time I was on my way down the I-5 to the Northwest’s premiere food festival, FEAST Portland. Specifically I was heading to the “Widmer Brother’s Sandwich Invitational Presented by Dave’s Killer Bread“. This event was spectacular and I was not going to miss it this year, so I am heading back, and I can’t wait!
“The Sandwich Invitational is Feast Portland’s killer kick-off party, where wildly imaginative, cheffed-up interpretations deliciously redefine everything you thought a sandwich could aspire to be. From Southern masters to BBQ legends, this gathering of the country’s leading chefs will explore how the depth and breadth of America’s culinary landscape can fit between two slices of bread—with even the bread up for interpretation! Unfortunately, my favourite from last year Bunk Sandwiches (Tommy from Bunk pictured below) aren’t there this year but that just means more new ones to try!
Chefs included this year:
- Nick Anderer, Maialino (New York, NY)
- Aaron Barnett, St. Jack (Portland, OR)
- Alvin Cailan, Eggslut (Los Angeles, CA)
- Elias Cairo, Olympia Provisions (Portland, OR)
- Aaron Franklin, Franklin Barbecue (Austin, TX)
- Duff Goldman, Charm City Cakes (Los Angeles, CA)
- Gregory Gourdet, Departure (Portland, OR)
- Tim Healea, Little T Baker (Portland, OR)
- Steve McHugh, Cured (San Antonio, TX)
- Harold Moore, Harold’s Meat + 3 (New York, NY)
- Vitaly Paley, Imperial (Portland, OR)
- BJ Smith, Smokehouse Tavern (Portland , OR)
- Scott Snyder, Levant (Portland, OR)
- John Stewart, Meat Cheese Bread (Portland, OR)
- Justin Wills, Restaurant Beck (Depoe Bay, OR)
Sandwich glory is on the line with their panel of legendary food writers, chefs and personalities choosing a victor as well as a People’s Choice favorite from the crowd. So, grab your napkin, your token and wash it all down with craft brews by Portland’s pioneering Widmer Brothers Brewing, Northwest wines and creative cocktails.”
If this years in even half as good as last year I will be a very happy man.